If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hello Arkansas Children's Hospital

Holy smokes, we're tired and if I am tired, then I know Spencer is exhausted.  We finally made it to a room last night at 8:15 p.m. after five hours in the ER and we had a very rough night but we totally expected that to be the case.  After 14 years of doing this, there are some things that never change.

Before I jump into the nitty gritty, I'll tell you about some "funny" things that happened on our trip from Los Angeles to Little Rock.  If you know me at all then you know there is always something going on!

Our flight left LA at 7:55 a.m.  Our roommate, Vickey, was gracious enough to get up at the ghastly hour of 5:30 a.m. to take us to the airport.  I just love her and her crazy Texan way of driving.  She really should give out crash helmets to all of her passengers. ;)

We arrived at LAX in plenty of time and even made it through security without a "personal pat down" by a friendly female TSA Agent (I mean, who doesn't enjoy a good early morning cavity check, right?!).   Our gate was adjacent to the bird sanctuary (oh, joy) and these crazy birds were flying everywhere!  Seriously?  As a practicing bird-a-phobia, I take umbrage with people who feel that these cutesy animals are harmless.  Honestly, I like birds at a distance and even have feeders for them in the winter time but do I want them flying around my head as they bare their fangs?  No thank you.  By the time we boarded the plane, my blood pressure was sky high.

Spencer was in a wheelchair so we were one of the first ones to board.  We got settled in to the second row and all was good until some wiseguy three rows behind us made a threat to the guy next to us wearing a White Sox hat (really?).  It went downhill from there and the plane, which was waiting in line to turn on the runway, ended up returning to the terminal and Mr. Wiseguy and his brother were removed from the plane by the police.  I am so thankful the flight attendants have our safety in mind.

By that time, the plane was running 40 minutes behind schedule and we only had a 45 minute layover in Las Vegas but that was no problem because Marilyn Ewing a/k/a Usain Bolt was pushing Spencer in the wheelchair like it was on fire and we made it to the connecting flight right before they closed the door.  Whew!  Unfortunately, our suitcases were not so lucky but Southwest did deliver them to the hospital this morning!  I just love them!

Mom met us in baggage claim and I was sooooo incredibly happy to see her.  How come seeing your mom automatically makes everything better.

We have seen all the Pulmonary doctors this morning and, unfortunately, it was not great news.  Spencer has a plural effusion (fluid in his left lung), pneumonia and he tested positive for the flu!  If you are walking around hacking and coughing and you think you are not contagious to other people, think again.  Go get checked people, good grief.

Looks like our stay will be a lot longer than we were hoping but at least we know we are in the BEST place possible.  And, Cole is in good hands in California so that makes this mom feel much better.  We will take it one day at a time and see what happens.

Thank you so much for all your prayers!  We can feel them working.  I will keep you all updated.

Hanging out watching the Australian Open.

"Always be joyful.  Keep on praying.  No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus."
~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

1 comment: