If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Blizzard and Top Ten List

I would like to go ahead and apologize now to my fellow Arkansans because Cole and I were the ones who wished for a white Christmas and boy oh boy, did our wish come true!

It started sleeting Christmas afternoon and snowing Christmas evening and by the time we awoke on the 26th, we had no electricity and a total of 11 inches of snow!  It was insanely beautiful and treacherous all rolled into one.
This is a view of our driveway and road.  We had over 50 downed trees between our house and the pond.

We were pleasantly surprised this portion of the road was clear.

Spencer double-dog-dared Cole to run around in his boxers and, of course, Cole obliged.

This is a picture our neighbor took of Kanis Road, two days after the storm.  Needless to say, it was a mess.

Today, we spent the entire day clearing debris from our road.  In honor of my manual labor, below is my Top Ten List of why I would never have made it as a Pre-Twenty-First Century Girl:

#1.  I have always known the luxury of electricity, running water and a potty that flushes when you push down the handle so when I have to go without these amenities, I get cranky.

#2.  I realized today that I do not own a pair of jeans that are not bedazzled in some way or another, which is usually fine but not when the hubby says to don my dungarees and meet him out front with the chainsaw.

#3.  Blisters on my feet from my cutsie rain boots do not go well with my Terrific Teal nail polish.

#4.  I have discovered that I may tend to voice my opinion of all parts of my body that are aching while I am hauling off debris.  I think that back in the "olden" days, if you complained, they took you behind the chicken house and shot you.

#5.  Fallen trees trump nice fingers nails every time.

#6.  I am pretty sure Laura Ingalls didn't have Advil.  I am glad I do.

#7.  I bet even pioneer people knew NOT to let your Lab out of the house while you are trying to clear limbs because every limb you throw over the edge of the mountain is then returned with great enthusiasm and the insistence from said dog to throw it again.  Can you say "losing battle"?

#8.  I dreamed of Starbucks, Sonic and a margarita bar to encourage my body to keep clearing the downed trees.  Do you think the colonial people dreamed of such decadence?  I think not.

#9.  I am so thankful that the clearing was done with a chainsaw instead of an ax.

#10.  Ending the day with a scalding hot shower, pajamas and a glass of wine is way better than heating water on the stove, pouring it into a galvanized tub and being the last one to bathe after everyone else has used the same water.

Did you have any adventures during the holidays?

"For the one who enters God's rest has also rested from his works, just as God did from his own works.
~Hebrews 4:10



No comments:

Post a Comment