If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Only Constant is Change

According to Heraclitus, who was a Greek philosopher from 535 BC to 475 BC, the "only constant is change".  Hmmmm, 2500 years later his declaration is still ringing true in our lives as the Ewing plan changes weekly daily hourly by the minute.

First, I should admit that I HATE change.  Hate is such a strong word but oh so true in this situation.  I can remember being in Junior High School and wishing everything would stay the same, which is weird because I didn't even like Jr. High.  It's a wonder my poor mom has lived this long after listening to me moan and groan.  Oh my, I'm so incredibly glad I didn't have a child like me!!!

I have gotten better with the whole "life is changing" idea, especially since Spencer's medical condition keeps us constantly guessing which I think of as "Life lesson #1 compliments of God".

"Life lesson #2" came along when Cole decided to pursue his acting career.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, in life is a sure thing but especially not in the life of an actor.

With all that said, life's most recent change came when our condo that we have been renting with Coppelia, for the past two years, has been put up for sale and we all had to find a new place to live.  After a lot of craziness (imagine that!), Cole and I have moved temporarily into our friend Roxie and Eve's apartment.  Roxie and Eve are spending the month of May in Washington and they were gracious enough to let us sublet from them.  It works out great for us because they have a beautiful apartment, Cole and I each get our own room and we're not locked  into a six or twelve month lease.

We moved all day Saturday and thanks to Slade, we got it all done within a short amount of time.  We're in and we're settled and I'm so thankful to have the move behind us.  The funniest thing to happen during our move was when I was trying to park my car in the garage but the parking place is so narrow and I was obviously having a hard time.  This sweet old man rode by on his bike (think 90 years old) and I guess he could see that I was struggling so he got off his bike to help.  He didn't speak English.  I don't speak Spanish.  But he was very animated and kept telling me (in Spanish) how I should go about getting my car in this space and I kept thinking HE wanted to park my car and I could just see me getting out and letting him park my car and him driving off with it and me having to call Brad to tell him my car was stolen by a 90 year old Mexican.  Finally, after much gesturing and hand signals, I figured out that he was showing me how to pull my car up and back it in and when the light bulb finally went off above my head, I did it on the first try.  He smiled and rode off and I almost ran after him to give him a big hug.  

I can't gain even a 1/2 ounce or the only way I will be able to exit the car after I park it is by the sun roof!

Surprise surprise, I got lost driving to church today but I know I will get my bearings about the time Cole has finished filming and we are heading home to Arkansas.

Our plan today, at 8:28pm, is to stay in LA until May 21st or 22nd and then head home to Arkansas for a well deserved rest.  But who knows, that plan could change at 8:31pm!

"Whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy.  For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow."
~James 1:2-3

No comments:

Post a Comment