If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Friday, February 21, 2014

Thankful, Even During a Crisis

This week, I had a revelation during my morning walk.  While I didn't figure out why in the world anyone would want to decaffeinate coffee or make sugar free chocolate (what's the point?), I did have an epiphany that rocked my world.  Ready?  We are incredibly blessed.  And while you are thinking, "Really?  You didn't already know that?", just hear me out.  

On Sunday, I was walking and mentally going through my prayer list while also explaining to God (like He doesn't already know) that I still don't have answers for blah blah and I'm wondering about blah blah and oh, yeah, I need to figure out blah blah when honestly, truly I felt like I got hit with a lightning bolt.  I stopped dead in my tracks and I had the most amazing feeling come over me and then a voice in my head that said, "God has blessed you so much.  Aren't you ashamed that you are constantly asking him for something instead of thanking him?"  I honestly looked around and expected to see someone standing behind me talking to me because the voice was that clear.

I can't really tell you much about the rest of my walk except that I spent the next 38 minutes thanking God for the beautiful blue sky, the smell of freshly mowed grass and the kids playing in the park.  At church, the service seemed to be delivered on steroids and every song seemed to sound so much sweeter than usual.  And all week, I have had a wonderful peace that has followed me through each day, even when I received a text last night from a friend asking me why an ambulance was headed to my house.

So while Spencer was getting ready for bed, it seems his blood sugar dropped extremely low which then brought on one of his Myoclonic seizures (it's an abrupt spasm or twitch due to the placement of his tumor) which caused him to fall, hit his head and lose consciousness.  Thankfully, Brad heard him and was able to get an ambulance that transported him to the hospital in a short amount of time.  After a CT scan and an x-ray, they were able to determine that he didn't have a concussion but he did have a gash in his head that required some staples.  During my last phone conversation with Brad at 1:20 a.m. (Arkansas time), I was thanking God for blessing me with an amazing husband who is always able and willing to do anything that needs to be done.

Another thankful moment came early this morning when my mom said she would be able to spend the day with Spencer while Brad went to work, although Spencer probably thought we were overreacting because he felt fine.  It didn't matter because there was no way we were leaving him alone.

Whew, so much to be thankful for and so much sleep to catch up on this weekend.
One more thankful item; this wild child went crazy when the paramedics were loading up "his boy" into the ambulance and I'm surprised thrilled he didn't chew their legs off.   But today, he was showing off his sweet side to Grandma.

Won't you join me in replacing your "I need" prayers with "Thank you for..." prayers.  You might be surprised at the difference it makes in your life.

"So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God and in His good time He will honor you.  Give all your worries and care to God, for He cares about what happens to you."
~1 Peter 5:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment