If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day

The Ewing work ethic is, "Work until it gets done, even if you think you might die."  I was raised that way and I think it is a great lesson to teach the boys.  However, as I get older my body thinks otherwise.

Since we spend a majority of our time in LA, household projects in Little Rock get done within a four-week span instead of throughout the entire year.  We had so many projects on our list that I was beginning to think that none of them would get done but I am happy to report that most all of them were accomplished and we are all still alive!

Friday morning, this face woke me at the crack of dawn.  He must have seen our to do list.  Ha!

We started by clearing our rock garden of a year's worth of leaves, dead trees and limbs.  I was so surprised that Brad let me burn the rubbish instead of hauling it off.

Then came the task of cleaning out Brad's storage locker that he has for his building projects.  Since he is no longer building spec houses, we were able to donate the building materials to Habitat for Humanity and give up the lease on the locker.  I love being able to save $150/month!
After three hours of swinging a sledge hammer, I am convinced that construction work would not be the job for me but Cole did a great job!

   Next, I sanded, stained and sealed our wood furniture and our front door (I'll post a picture later).  They turned out great.

While Spencer planted a tomato plant and some flowers,

Cole, Brad and I dug up and transplanted a huge Forsythia bush from the front flower bed to the side yard in front of our propane tank.
I love the rock flower bed around it.

The beds look so good

and I have my first Hydrangea bloom!

I made it through three and a half days of yard work before spotting my first critter.
Spencer said it was a Speckled King Snake.  To me, it looked like a Speckled King Cobra Boa Constrictor Black Mamba!

After four full days of hauling 20+ loads of rocks in the wheelbarrow, putting out 1 yard of topsoil and 2+ yards of mulch, mowing, weed eating, trimming, raking, staining and demolishing we were very proud to step back and enjoy the fruits of our labor.

We also remember that Memorial Day is not about taking time off to do chores, but remembering the ones that made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.


My Dad, William "Bill" Shelton, United States Air Force.

"But as for me, I will sing about your power.  I will shout with joy each morning because of your unfailing love.  For you have been my refuge, a place of safety in the day of distress."
~Psalm 59:16

No comments:

Post a Comment