If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Friday, August 16, 2013

Spencer's Surgery

As I type this update, I am thinking that the very large glass of wine that I am having is not enough to calm my nerves while I consider all the procedures Spencer endured during almost six hours of surgery today.

For a little history, Spencer has had a port in his chest since 2002.  This port was used for access during chemo, radiation and any IV meds he had and but, eventually, it became blocked.  Dr. Warren had expressed concern for the past couple of years that if the port was not working then it needed to come out so we scheduled to have it removed.  

In addition to the port being removed, Spencer's orthodontist said that he needed to have four teeth removed in order to get his braces so that too was scheduled in conjunction with the port removal.

To say I was apprehensive about him having surgery and me not being there, is the understatement of the year.  I have gone back and forth about waiting patiently here in California or jumping in the car and driving like a maniac for 22 hours to get to ACH in time for surgery.  I conceded and stayed in California and finally told God that wherever He wanted me, that's where I would be.  

I woke up at 5:45 a.m. and immediately thought of Spencer.  Brad texted me at 6:00 and from that point on, every second was filled with praying for Spencer, the doctor's, the nurses' and everyone else involved with the surgery.  Thankfully, my Mom met the guys at the hospital and that gave me comfort, although I knew that it was more for my benefit than for theirs.
Cutie pie waiting to go back.

By the time surgery started, I was anxious.  I knew that Cole and I would be driving to Santa Monica for an audition about the time the surgery should be ending but when Brad didn't call me, I knew something was going on.  Brad called just as I was parking and said that Spencer was in recovery and that the orthodontist had removed NINE teeth (four molars, two that were growing in sideways and three in the roof of his mouth).  After the oral surgeon finished and the surgeon began removing his port, she realized that the catheter from his port to his groin had broken off.  So, she called in radiology to assist in the removal.  The poor guy has stitches in his mouth, his chest and his groin.  Jeez, how I wish I had given in to the instinct to drive home.

According to Brad, they're fine.  Spencer is determined to be at football practice on Monday.  He filled an Rx for Demerol but I doubt Spencer will take it and I'm just hopeful he will at least take some Tylenol or Motrin.  I can't wait to Skype with him tomorrow and get all the details but tonight I am prayerful he will rest without pain.
Braces are on and somehow, he has a smile on his face.

Cole has gone to a play and is spending the night with a friend so I am left to my own devices to keep me preoccupied.  Thank goodness for books and wine.

Brad sent me these pictures last night of our crazy cat so I thought I would share...
Sassy britches on the kitchen bar where he is definitely NOT supposed to be!

Looking for the dogs!

"Be still, and know that I am God."
~Psalm 46:10 

No comments:

Post a Comment