If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Hello Arkansas Children's Hospital

I was so happy yesterday when Spencer called to tell me that he would not be admitted to ACH.  Surprised, but very happy.  To think that after only 14 years of his body enduring two brain surgeries, two years of chemotherapy, seven weeks of radiation and hundreds of hospitalizations, he was finally going to be able to deal with the common cold at home.
 
 
Not so fast.
 
Spencer called me at 6:00 a.m. pacific time to tell me he was being admitted to ACH.  I had been awake since 4:45a.m.  I was so restless last night that I was showering and listening to Christmas music at 12:30 a.m.  I wasn't sure why I was so restless but I think deep down I must have been uneasy about Spencer.  When Brad took Spencer in this morning for a recheck and to get lab results, Dr. Warren informed them that Spencer had tested positive for Pseudomonas, a very nasty bug, and that he would need to be hospitalized so that he could get a PICC line (a central line in his arm) to start IV antibiotics.
 
Deep breath.  Did I freak?  No.  Did I want to?  Oh yeah.  But Spencer was in total control and was so matter of fact and I knew I needed to be like him and act like a grownup (being an adult is so overrated).
 
The next time I talked with Spencer, he had been to radiology (without a parent) and had his PICC line inserted and was resting comfortably in his hospital room visiting with Grandma, IV antibiotics were already running and he had informed the floor staff that he knew Dr. Warren did not want the respiratory team to wake him in the middle of the night to do breathing treatments and that he definitely did not want to be woken up in the middle of the night for vitals.  Ha!  I have trained that boy well!!!  When you're sick, rest is one of the most important keys to getting you well but you just can't rest in the hospital.
 
Holy smokes, I love this face.
 
We are praying it is a short visit and that Spencer will go home with IV antibiotics as we have done so many times in the past.  After all, Dr. Warren says the hospital is no place for Spencer since it is full of sick people!
 
With all the drama of Spencer, I have neglected to share all the good news about Cole.  On Monday, he spent the morning at Nickelodeon's Animation Studios working on a project that we are hopeful will become a regular series on the Nick channel.
 
Tomorrow, he will find out if he booked a national commercial and will be auditioning for another animated series.  The fun never ends.
 
Strangely, today I have remained calm (except when I cried on the phone to my mom) and felt at peace.  I sure do love it when I let go and let God.  I should do that more often. ;)
 
Stay tuned...you never know WHAT could happen with the Ewing's tomorrow!!!
 
"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them."
~Romans 8:28
 


No comments:

Post a Comment