If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Thankful Heart of a WaCKy Mother

"Hello my name is Marilyn Ewing, and I am a Wacky Mom."  And then all you wacky mom's out there respond, "Hello Marilyn."

I imagine an organization akin to AA for Wacky Mom's like me that need to go and get help for the wackiness that pervades every day of my life.  I don't do things half way.  If I am happy, I'm ecstatic.  If I'm sad, I'm inconsolable.  When I'm mad, I'm sure I make the FBI's "Watch List" for terrorists.  And when I worry, I let all common sense and God's word fly out of my head while worry takes over.

I woke up early thinking of Spencer and all the ins and outs he would need to endure before he was admitted to ACH.  The blood tests, chest x-rays, pages and pages of questions by nurses, doctors and someone from "Admitting", the long wait for a room and finally, the scariness of yet another visit to the hospital where the outcome is always questionable.

In 2008, Spencer was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia and bronchitis.  His seemingly "normal" hospital stay for a child with chronic lung issues turned deadly when he contracted the flu from an adjoining patient room and had to be rushed to the PICU where he was in a medical-induced coma for 26 days and in the hospital for a total of 81 days.  Since then, every time Spencer gets sick, I always worry wonder if the foreseeing hospital visit will bring the same results as that fateful trip.

Imagine my surprise this morning when Spencer called me to tell me he was on his way home!  Home?!?!  His voice was clear, I could tell he was feeling good and he sounded like he was on top of the world.  I'm sorry, is this the same young man that I talked with last night that I was sure should be taken to the ER instead of waiting till today to see the doctor?

Despite my obvious crying, Spencer went on to explain that his chest x-ray looked great, his blood tests were all good, his oxygen levels were excellent and his lung functions were all perfect.  He said Dr. Warren told him that....wait for it......he had a COLD!  What?  No pneumonia?  No Hungarian Bodyrot or Typhoid Fever?  Nope, just a common cold.  The most exciting part is that for the first time in 14 years, Spencer's body can deal with the common cold without being hospitalized!  Praise Jesus!

My sweet Mom is hanging out with Spencer at the house while Brad goes to work.  Who knows what kind of trouble those two will get in to. ;)

As I look back on these last couple of days, I can see God's hand in all that occurred and my heart sings with thankfulness.  God knows my weaknesses, my fears, my insecurities and yet, He loves me unconditionally and always.

Today, I will discard the beach towel I was using as a giant Kleenex and focus on being thankful for our blessings and pray for those that are enduring pain and uncertainty.  Another lesson and another blessing.

"Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever."
~Psalm 125:1


No comments:

Post a Comment