If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Fighting Frustration

Sometimes, even though I don't realize it until later, I set myself up to fail.  You would think that after 47 years I would be a little more wiser.

After 14+ years of spending time in the hospital, I think I know everything.  I am comfortable with the nurses and doctors, I know Spencer's illness inside and out and I know what to expect when we have extended stays at ACH.  So, I get cocky.  I get confident and comfortable and depend a little less on God and a lot more on me.  And then for some reason, I am surprised when things don't go as I plan.  Can you say "ding dong"?

I should know that after our eighth day in the hospital, my happy-go-lucky attitude begins to wane.  I am tired, I want to be in my own bed and ultimately I get frustrated with someone and then that frustration carries over into everything.  Yesterday was a perfect example.  Brad and Cole came up to the hospital and spent the afternoon with Spencer while I went home.  I had all these plans but instead, I ended up sleeping for almost three hours.  While I'm sure I needed the sleep, I was frustrated when I got back to the hospital because I hadn't been productive, which led me to get frustrated with the night respiratory therapist, and so on.  Just dumb.

I was still kind of cranky when I woke up this morning but that quickly changed to laughter when I realized that I had used hair gel instead of body lotion when I got out of the shower!  I hope the bottle doesn't lie and my body will now be "hydrated, sleek and shiny"!

My goal this week is to be a little less confident in my own abilities and a lot more trusting of God for exactly what I need.

So thankful for the beautiful weather and a trip outside today.

"The Lord will guide you always..."
~Isaiah 58:11

No comments:

Post a Comment