If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Happy Birthday, Spencer

On Thursday, January 18, 1996, I was big, pregnant and crazed! (I know, I know, not much different from today!).  Brad traveled with work and was usually gone four or five days of the week, we were living in a rent house while building a house and I just could not get settled.  That Thursday, I was determined to get every baby item washed, folded and put into the dresser even though the baby wasn't due for another four weeks.  All day I worked on getting everything organized and my bag packed.  When Brad arrived home from out of town, we drove over to look at the progress on the new house and despite his attempts to take me out to dinner, I just wanted to go home.  I ate four oranges and two grapefruits for dinner and went to bed early.  At 12:10 a.m., I got up to go to the bathroom and realized my water broke.  I still laugh when I think of how Brad reacted when I woke him up.  He jumped up like someone being shot out of a cannon and was ready to go within three minutes.  I, however, got in the shower, washed my hair, shaved my legs and put makeup on before we left.  The entire time I am getting ready, Brad is pacing the floor, talking to the doctor and pacing some more.

Once we arrived at the hospital, everything was a blur.  I was determined to have the baby naturally but an ultrasound showed Spencer was in the birth canal, booty first with his legs folded up over his shoulders.  The doctor knew he would need to deliver Spencer via a C-section and I think I cried all the way to the OR.  Thank goodness Brad was with me the whole time and 30 minutes later, we had a beautiful seven pound baby boy.

Today, Spencer has felt much better and despite being in the hospital, I think he has had a good day.  Tomorrow he will have a PIC line placed that will be used for IV antibiotics, and then hopefully we will be able to go home sometime this week.

We are so proud of the young man that Spencer has become and thankful that God has blessed him with an amazing determination and love for life.  I can't wait to see what the next 18 years will hold for him.

"Lord, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have done for us."
~Isaiah 26:12

No comments:

Post a Comment