If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Prayers for Spencer

It is hard for me to believe that it has been 13 years that Spencer has been living faithfully through his trials and tribulations.  13 years.  Wow, what a long road it has been for him.  From being diagnosed with a brain stem tumor to having it removed and being paralyzed to almost losing his battle to death in 2008...you name it and he has seen it.  It makes my heart hurt to know that he is not able to do all the things he wants to do but the one that hurts the most is the fact that he loves food as much as I do but he can't eat by mouth.

In 2008 when Spencer was so incredibly sick, the doctor's realized that he was aspirating on everything he ate and drank.  This means that the food he was eating was going into his trachea and straight to his lungs instead of down his esophagus and into his stomach.  To remedy this problem, he had a g-button put in his stomach and all food and liquids are fed directly into this tube.  Does he complain?  Hardly ever and it usually is only when he is having problems with the feeding pump.  Does he miss eating/drinking by mouth?  Of course.  Does he trust God with all his heart?  No doubt about it.  Could I ever go five minutes without complaining?  Absolutely not!

Recently, Spencer told Brad and I that when he graduates from high school and before he goes to college, he is going to quit using his feeding pump.  Insert shock waves here!  By not using his pump, that means he will go back to eating by mouth and risk aspirating and getting sick.  This mama panicked.  I e-mailed his ENT and told him that "we" (meaning him and his team) only have two years to solve this problem!

So, Spencer has an appointment with Dr. Richter Thursday morning at 7:30 a.m.  We absolutely adore Dr. Richter and know that he is an extremely talented and God-fearing man and he will come up with a solution.

I say all this to ask if you will please pray for Spencer.  I know that God will reward his faithfulness but my prayer is that his reward will come sooner rather than later and that he will once again be able to eat by mouth.  I am also praying that I will be as faithful as Spencer and trust that God's plan and God's timing is perfect.

"O Lord, you alone are my hope.  I've trusted you, O Lord, from childhood."
~Psalm 71:5

No comments:

Post a Comment