If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Friday, January 21, 2011

Emotional Rollercoaster of a Day

Oh my, what a day.  First, let me say that only by the Grace of God did I make it through this day totally sane.  I had my doubts first thing this morning.

Our day started out great.  We slept until 7:30 and by 8:00, I was talking with Mindy and Lisa who came up to join me for coffee.  Then, Dr. Com came in and said that the culture from Spencer's bronchoscopy showed pseudomonas growing.  It is a very nasty bacterial infection that he had in 2008 when we almost lost him.  The good news is that we caught it very early.  The mediocre news is that he needed a PIC (peripherally inserted central venous) line placed and three to four weeks of very strong IV antibiotics.  The bad news is that we still don't know what caused this or how his lungs will recover from it.

God knew that I was going to need some extra support this morning because Mindy and Lisa talked me through it over my morning shot (of coffee!).  The plan was for the PIC line to be placed Monday and for us to tentatively go home on Tuesday.

Fast forward to lunch.  Spencer heads out with Jenny & Noah (physical therapists) for his daily workout and I head down to get some lunch.  Before Spencer even makes it to the therapy room, Noah notices that Spencer's arm is very swollen.  Jenny realizes his IV has infiltrated and they have to return to the floor for our nurse Aimee to remove the IV (of course, that didn't stop Spencer and he still worked for an hour on strengthening).  Aimee was going to have to place another IV in his left hand, which he was really dreading because he is left handed.  Here comes the really cool part...just as Aimee is getting the supplies to place the IV, radiology calls and says they can place Spencer's PIC line today!  If that isn't God working in the here and now, I don't know what is!!!  I got chill bumps! 

Brad was able to get here before they took Spencer down and Cole even got to come back to radiology and visit with Spencer before they took him back.  Since we couldn't go in with him, our bestest Child Life princess Esther was with him.  He did fabulous and even though he was SOOOOO concerned about them strapping him to the table, he came through with flying colors and said it didn't even hurt.  He's my hero.

So, Brad hung out with Spencer and Cole took me out to dinner.  We went to Hobby Lobby and to Macaroni Grill.  It was just what we both needed.
Spencer and I are settled in for the night and Brad and Cole are back home.  We are glad this day is over and looking forward to a nice, quiet weekend with lots of visitors and football (or, in my case, arts & crafts!).

Thank you so much for all your prayers.  We saw God's hand at work today and it was AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment