If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Friday, April 27, 2012

What's in a schedule?

I am trying to think of the person who has known me the longest besides my family and my husband.  Whoever they are, they know the way I used to be pre-Spencer's illness.  Controlling, schedule FREAK, determined for things to go my way, obsessive....just a few characteristics that I am not proud of.  I totally believe that through Spencer's illness God has shown me to let HIM be in control and I am just along for the ride.

Sometimes I miss my old ways.  I loved the days when I thought I was in control and knew exactly how my day was going to go.  There was a certain comfort in having my Daytimer attached to me at all times and having my schedule planned months in advance.  Ah, those were the days.

When Spencer was diagnosed with his brain tumor, I laid my Daytimer aside while we worked through those first weeks and months with our only goal being for him to live long enough to see his 4th birthday.  I naively thought that once he was better life would return to my regularly scheduled routine.  As time went on it became apparent to me that my time would be better spent living in the moment than three months in advance; treasuring the minutes with a smile from a sick child or a hug from my healthy child and reveling in life that was going on around me.

All those trials prepared me for the life we are living now.  There is a running joke with the boys when they ask me every morning what is on the agenda for today because they know that my current agenda is most certain to change before the day is out.  I love it that they are so flexible and adaptable and know that that trait will serve them well as they grow older.  

My agenda, once we made it back to Little Rock, was to sleep late, make dates with my friends, sleep some more, visit with my family, and more sleep.  I vowed I would not be getting back in my car for a lengthy car ride until June, July or August when we made our way back to California.  Well, SURPRISE!  I just threw my plan out the window because God had a different idea.  Much to our shock and relief, we sold our house in Florida (after having it on and off the market for the past 5 years) and the new buyers want to close Friday, May 4th.  So guess who is leaving Sunday and driving 19 hours to Vero Beach, FL?  Yep, Brad and I.  The boys refuse to get back in the car so my fabulous friend Carol and my mom will hang out with them.


So far today I have cleaned the bathrooms, washed clothes, rescued a lizard from Kobe's mouth, unpacked, killed a scorpion, started repacking, made my grocery list, vacuumed, and watched a snake slither across our driveway.  More excitement in four hours in Little Rock than I have had in three months in LA (well, almost)!


We had a thankfully uneventful drive home from California.  I am praying for the same for our quick trip to Florida.


What kind of excitement have you had today?


"Then you will look and smile, you will be excited and your heart will swell with pride..."
~Isaiah 60:5

No comments:

Post a Comment