If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Death by Boxing

Sometimes, I like to let myself think that for a person my age, I am in mediocre shape.  I can run 3 to 4 miles, I can hike a small-sized mountain without passing out and for the most part, I am a healthy eater.  

Well, all that changed today.

Our room mates, Vickey and Slade, joined LA Fitness and Vickey wanted me to join her in a boxing circuit class.  It has been years since I visited a gym (I prefer to exercise outside) but knowing how intimidating it can be to attend a class by yourself, I agreed to accompany her.  Mistake number uno.

As our class began filling up, I looked around at the other participants and noticed that they were all very fit.  Not necessarily bulky with muscles but definitely toned and on the smaller-size of normal.  Uh oh.

Then, our beautiful instructor arrived who was gorgeous, very fit and had a lovely English accent.  Oh, and did I mention that she was 8 months pregnant!  Yep, and she kept up with every step of the class and most likely weighed 100 pounds less than me.  Oh boy, this could be trouble.

Ten minutes into the class (which had me wishing that I had brought Spencer's portable oxygen tank) and my arms started feeling like jello because I was doing moves like jabbing, cross hit and upper cut, the instructor announced that the warm up was over and now we were ready to start.  Whoa, what?!  That was just the warm up?  I am definitely out of shape.

Fifty minutes later when I was sure that I was going to die, our perky instructor who had nary a sweat bead on her entire body, said the words I had been dreaming of...the cool down portion of the class.  Hallelujah!

Tomorrow, if I am able to lift my arms above my waist, I am going to wrap my hands around Vickey's neck and if I have the strength, I will squeeze them.  Most likely she will live to talk me into another class next week.

"Give 100% in all you do; unless you are giving blood."
~Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment