If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Monday, October 22, 2012

Inspiration From Family and a Stranger

I am not sure why but I have been so emotional lately.  The smallest things bring me to tears like Skyping with Brad or Spencer, a spontaneous hug from Cole or a kind word or gesture from a friend.  I'm a mess!

I try not to dwell on it too much but I'm not gonna lie...it is hard being away from Brad and Spencer.  I know they are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves but I miss that one-on-one time with them.  I am so thankful for Skype!  It's almost like being right there with them, especially when Spencer walks around the room with the computer so I can talk to the dogs and the cat!  Ha!

Spencer is a constant source of inspiration for me.  Whenever I need a little pick-me-up, all I have to do is call him and listen to his positive attitude.  We are so blessed by this young man.
Farrell and Spencer, RUFL team mates and fellow rebel rowsers!

My inspiration from Cole comes from the knowledge that we are making memories that will last a life time.  I know that as he gets older and moves out of the house, I can look back on this special time with him and cherish these moments we got to spend together.  And he will have the wonderful memory of his mother singing at the top of her lungs, while sitting on him, to wake him up in the mornings!
Cole and our neighbor's dog, Kena.

And Brad, well, there's just not enough words to express the inspiration that comes from him.  I know he doesn't always understand why I'm crying but at least he listens and is always encouraging.  Like my brother always says, "Thank goodness we were able to pay Brad enough money to marry you!"  I didn't realize there was enough money in the world for him to stick it out with me for 20+ years.

This morning, my inspiration came in the form of a total stranger but it touched me straight to my heart.  Cole and I went hiking (me with my 10 lb. weights) on this beautiful fall day.  Needless to say, Cole is constantly pushing me to do more, run faster, hike farther, etc.  We hike Freyman Canyon and while it is no Mount Everest, it definitely provides a workout.

Once you reach the halfway point of the hike, you have to traverse a very steep hill before you begin your decent.  This morning, Cole was convinced that I was going to run up this hill.  He started talking about it as soon as we hit the trail and he wouldn't let up and all the while, I am trying to mentally prepare myself for this challenge.  We start up the hill and as Cole is encouraging me on my right side, a lady begins running on my left and she is encouraging me right along with Cole.  "Come on, you can do it, you're doing great, you're looking good."  I have never seen this woman before but she's right there running step for step with us.  When I am about three-fourths of the way to the top, I start to slow down and I know I won't make it.  This lady (I later learned her name is Tameka) must have sensed that I was slowing down and she reaches down, grabs my hand and starts running a little ahead so she can pull me!  She pulled me to the top!  

I have never experienced anything like it before in my life.  I know some of you won't understand but for a total stranger to come along and help me achieve a goal that I thought I would never accomplish, I was blown away.  We were high-fiving and Cole was beaming from ear to ear with his smile.  I thanked her profusely, introduced Cole and I and then, started crying.  It was such a simple gesture but it meant more to me than she will ever know.

Isn't it amazing how God brings inspiration into our lives right when we need it.  I never, in a million years, would have thought that a simple hand from a stranger could make such a huge impact on me.  I am still in awe of the feeling but I know God sent my angel Tameka to teach me more this morning than just about conquering the hill in Freyman Canyon.

"Finally, all of you should be of one mind.  Sympathize with each other.  Love each other as brothers and sisters.  Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude.  Don't repay evil for evil.  Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you.  Instead, pay them back with a blessing.  That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it."
~I Peter 3:8 - 9

No comments:

Post a Comment