If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Change of Plans

"When you get your oil changed, have that rattle checked out."  Those were Brad's parting words on Monday morning, as he left for work and I headed to the Toyota dealership to get my oil changed, tires rotated and an overall check of my car before we hit the road to LA.  Shouldn't I know that a rattle is never just a rattle and it always turns out to be something more?  In this case, yes.  The technician came out with a sheepish look on his face so I knew right away that it was not good news.  He proceeded to explain (I'm sure to him, it made perfect sense.  Not so much to me.) why the "rattle" was a MAJOR repair and would take a minimum of three days and cost $4,000.  Picture him holding his breath and me turning pale, losing all focus in my eyes, hearing the whooshing sound like I am going to faint, and dialing my phone to call Brad all while sucking down coffee.

Today, I dropped my car off for a second opinion but from the sound of things, we're still looking at at least a two-day repair and a substantial amount of moolah.  Nice.

I have had a conversation with God all afternoon that has gone something like this....
Do you not want us to go to LA?
Do you have something better in mind?
Is this just a setback but you want us to persevere with our plan for LA?
Can you speak a little louder so I can hear you more clearly!

My Gigi called, just to check on me, which I love.  She is so wise, thoughtful and loving and I value her opinion.  She said God sends tests our way and she would pray that I would have the wisdom to know what to do.  What would I ever do without her in my life.

Instead of fretting, I spent the rest of the day working on paperwork and going for a walk with the boys.  When we returned from our walk, we suddenly lost electricity (not uncommon when you live out in the woods).  After a call to Entergy, they assured us the power would be restored by 7:30 p.m. but we have learned not to put much credence into their estimated time so we went to work.  Cole and Brad went to the store to pick up some things while Spencer and I got out candles and built a fire.

As I sat on the back porch and watched the sun set, God had my full attention and boy did He provide a spectacular view...
It was so beautiful and quiet.  An owl flew by without a sound and it took my breath away.

So peaceful.

The boys played Connect Four and after dinner, we all played Monopoly.  Brad won and we all had a great time and to my surprise, the kids even moaned when the electricity came back on!

I know God has a plan and I am praying that He will give us a clear answer as to what He wants us to do.  In the mean time, I am going to enjoy the opportunities I get to unplug with my family.

"Pray to me when you are in trouble.  I will deliver you, and you will honor me."
~Psalm 50:15

1 comment:

  1. Love your attitude and witt Marilyn and your trust in God. Thanks for posting; photos too!

    ReplyDelete