If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. ~Matthew 17:20

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Missing the Point

It is not hard for me to miss the point of a story or even miss the punch line of a joke.  Hours later, the light bulb over my head will click to the "On" position and I will be laughing at the joke that others laughed at immediately.

I have been under the preconceived notion for years that since I was raised to be in church Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night, I knew all there was to know about God.  I knew about God but only in the past 10 years have I come to know God.  I have learned that yes, I was truly blessed to have a mom and Grandparents that put all their faith and trust in the Lord.  But sitting in church every time the doors were open does not automatically develop the close relationship that God yearns for us to have with Him.

You see, I have longed, begged, pleaded and even stomped my foot at God for all the things I want for my husband, my children and my family.   If you haven't discovered yet, I can be quite bossy and opinionated.  But in the past few weeks, I got the point that God has been trying to show me (probably for a long, long time).

I always pray for all the burdens to be lifted from Spencer so that he can live a "normal" life.  That's my plan.  And I think it's a great one.  When I was back in Little Rock a couple of weeks ago, Spencer told me that he has joined a Small Group with our church.  All I could think was, "Wow!"  You see, Spencer trusts in God for everything; he never questions, he never complains and he truly believes in God's plan.  Would Spencer have been so open to God's word if he did not have the challenges he has; I don't know but I can see now how God has used Spencer's situation to bring Spencer to a closer relationship with God and to share his love of the Word with others.

This past week, Cole has been questioning whether we need to stay in Los Angeles.  He loves acting and he loves being out here but he also misses his Dad and brother terribly.  We have talked a lot about what God's plan is and how to know when you are doing exactly what God has in mind.  Last night, as I was getting ready to go to bed, I found Cole on our patio with my Bible reading and looking up verses (He found out that the subject of "worrying" is mentioned 365 times in the Bible).  If things were going smoothly, would Cole have sought out God's word for direction and answers?  I would like to think so but it filled my heart to capacity to see my youngest one having quiet time with God.

Don't we all want the easiest path for our kids?  I have always wished for that.  It has only taken me 45 years to figure out that God allows us to be in certain situations so we will seek His word and guidance and become closer to Him.

I'm so thankful God opened my eyes to my "Aha!" moment last night.  I wonder what else He has been trying to tell me?

"For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him."
~Philippians 2:13  

No comments:

Post a Comment